Wednesday, May 03, 2006

On Tasting Coffee

A middle aged man walked into the shop a few days ago, struck up a conversation. I held back a bit at first, acting only mildly interested, waiting to see if he really wanted to talk coffee. Slowly he built up my trust and I launched into a diatribe on the brown-bean, from origins to processing to roast. My enthusiasm grew and our conversation became loud and animated. Soon he asked for a tasting. I pulled out a new Harrar--blueberried and medium bodied. Not perfect, a bit pungent, but definitely good and very interesting.

I poured him a small cup from the french press.

DISASTER

Before even smelling it he looked up at me:

"I'll need to try it with cream and sugar."

Yeah, good idea. And next time you're at a nice restaurant, ask for ketchup with your $50 steak. Truly you are a man with refined taste.

"Ok," I reply as I demolish any unique flavor in his coffee with his requested adulterations.

"Oh that's good," he smiles, and walks out the door, a satisfied grin on his face.

3 comments:

layne (herman) said...

i would imagine that they would not want any kopi luwak (aka civet coffee)....

but then, i do not feel a real need for it either.

Fr. Matthew said...

Fruit Booter!!!

Cream and Sugar!!

Paula said...

Sigh. You may as well add sugar to your champagne cuz it's too dry. When will people learn?