Saturday, May 20, 2006

On Caffeine

It should go without saying that I'm fairly addicted to caffeine. I feel mildly sorry about that. I remember when I used to wake up with energy at 5:30 in the morning. Yeah, I wasn't normal.

Anyway, I'm addicted, but I try to manage my intake to just the right level. Lately I've noticed that a lot of my angst starts to build when I'm compensating for too little sleep with too much coffee. That's when I'm most likely to make snide remarks about people's drink orders and not feel the least bit sorry about it (until the next day). Well, I can't really recall making snide remarks in particular, but others assure me that I do, so I must.

The past couple of days I got plenty of sleep and drank less caffeine. I happily poured nonfat milk into some lady's Ethiopian Yergacheffe. I did not scowl when some guy ordered a skinny latte (though I did, kindly, tell him to please call it 'non-fat'). "What is wrong with me?" I querried. "Where has your angst gone?"

It actually is a better to live without the angst, I guess. I mean, I'm not overly proud that I've been called a coffee prima donna. Entertained? Yes.

3 comments:

Belladonna said...

My land o' mighty, Larry, I'm not quite sure HOW to take this "kinder, gentler" version of our infamous barista.

How about this... if you are willing, pour out some of that fine coffee knowledge you have. How about writing a little caffeine 101? You may never turn us hopeless dilettantes into true bean connoisseurs. But I for one would be very interested to know more about what makes the distinction between pedestrian run-of-the mill java and a truly fine cup of Joe. Speak to us Larry, share your wisdom!

Panimatka Philo said...

OK belladonna, i'll see what i can do...

i suggest that you keep your expectations low...

after all, I'm just a simple caveman...

Fr. Matthew said...

ROFLOL