Thursday, May 11, 2006

On Straws

I have something against people who use straws to drink hot coffee. Why do you do it?

I have a burly looking customer who rolls up to the drive-thru, orders a vanilla latte, and when I hand it to him, he asks for a straw.

Isn't it enough that you're drinking a vanilla latte? Must you lower yourself and all humanity even more by drinking it with a straw? (O.K. that last comment was a bit over the top.)

While I can't always recognize a straw-user by age, sex, or manner of dress, I can tell you that there is a direct relation between the sweetness of the drink and the use of straws: the more a customer must "cover up that nasty coffee taste" with syrups, the more likely they are to use a straw. And the more likely I am to roll my eyes and feel a surge of ugly, inner anger.

Why did I even bother working so hard to give you perfect espresso?
Why did I froth your milk so smoothly?

Your straw ordering ways make me feel like I'm working at the Sev instead of a high end espresso shop.

Ask for a straw with your hot drink once, and you can be sure I won't take you seriously ever again, or work hard to make you drink perfect--I'll know that you don't really care.

True, I won't kick you out of the shop. I'll serve you with a smile. You may never know the difference. And I guess, that's the point--if you don't know the difference, why don't you just go get a Super-Big Gulp instead?

7 comments:

layne (herman) said...

barista larry- i say go guerilla and toss all of the straws and so when the indiscriminate customer asks for a straw you can tell them that you have none.

or... make an in-house "rule" that straws are only for children and tell the straw defiler that.

or... tell them you already poured some melted plastic in their beverage and so they do not need to add their own.

or... ask them if they would use a straw while tasting wine at one of the many wineries in town.

just some ideas.

Belladonna said...

Why does someone liking coffee in an impure, very adulterated state offend you so deeply? If your product makes them happy and you are getting the business, does it really matter? Does there have to be a "right" way to drink and a "wrong" way??
Should a baker get pissed off when I put jam on my toasted bread, thereby masking the fine toasty grain taste with all that sugary fruit? Honestly, I am quite baffled by such virulent angst over someone's personal choice in what they like to drink.

Panimatka Philo said...

Belladonna--

I think you're on to something...

Actually, I'm not quite as upset as the blog makes me seem. Well, sometimes I am, but the blog is a bit of a release, and I usually feel less angry after I write an angry post. So the blog is a bit unbalanced--hey, I told you not to read it.

Also, there is a the problem that I often injest just a bit too much caffeine--known to cause irritability. Usually after I've had a beer at the end of the day, or if I've had time to wind down in the garden I feel almost no ill will towards people who don't drink coffee the way I want them to. Not that this will make you fell any better...

Belladonna said...

Actually, it does. Hey, I can understand VENTING. We all need to blow off some steam now and again. I just happen to spill my spleen over different issues. Whose to say my pet peeves are in any way more legitimate? Probably not.

Also, for me, giving in to my irrational rages makes them seem to loom BIGGER rather than help them dissipate. So in most cases I try not to feed that monster.

But hey, if this works for you, more power to you.

Panimatka Philo said...

Oh--I forgot to mention...

Thanks for reading.

Didn't think anyone would...

-Larry J.P.

wild walla walla wine woman said...

Hi Larry,
I feel the same way when a bar puts a mini straw in my vodka martini.
Cheers!
~C

juliana said...

Ok ok, gotta defend the straw usage here. YES I do like straws, I like them in cold drinks, I like them in hot drinks, I've even used them in mixed drinks. The straw conrols the amount of liquid going into your mouth, and keeps the pain of the ice cubes at bay. With hot drinks, again, I'm able to control the flow of hot liquid pouring down my throat and am less likely to burn my mouth. But, I would never use them in black coffee-that's just weird. Also clear wrapped straws are of a higher dignity to be offered at a fine establishement as yours. If you had paper covered straws, well then you'd just be another Mc'Ds. And the best reason for using and accumulating straws is, you never know when you'll be chased by attackers and have to slip into the nearest swamp to avoid capture-only to remember you have your straw from Walla Walla Roastery still in your pocket enabling you to breathe and survive yet another adventure.