Thursday, August 24, 2006

So, Why Drink Espresso?

My first coffee-beverage of the day is usually not espresso. I start with either a cup-o-french-press or else a true cappuccino. If I've missed breakfast and don't have any money, and I'm working at the shop, then sometimes I drink a latte (for pure caloric intake).

Espresso, rather is the follow up drink. It's perfect after lunch when I feel sluggish and have no room in my belly: those 2 ounces slide right in where no other beverage could fit. It's great as a mid-morning or afternoon energizer: no time for coffee, just suck it down.

The cool thing about espresso is that you continue to taste it for a good while after you've had it--sometimes even an hour later it's still resonating with it's earthy sweetness. So, even though you might not have time to sit and enjoy a large cup of joe, you can quickly drink an espresso, get back to work, and still be enjoying your coffee.

Indeed, perhaps the best taste of espresso is its aftertaste, and not the initial, tip of the tongue experience. This is not to take away from the initial taste--because this can be wonderful as well: I know you're not going to believe this... but I have tasted espresso that is literally sweet. Mmmm. Then it turns to an intense chocolatey-berry-earthy taste. Then comes the heavenly aftertaste.

That's reason enough right there to try espresso.

3 comments:

layne (herman) said...

i never thot about a latte being a substitue for breakfast based on caloric value.

knowledge is power.

Panimatka Philo said...

yeah--but it doesn't work that well as a substitute. I mean, it's got the calories, but it just doesn't stick with you like solid food. Works in a pinch, tho.

layne (herman) said...

Dear Larry- Why do they call it "coffee cake" if it does not contain any coffee?