Thursday, June 28, 2007

This is my day:

I start by cupping some amazing Costa Rican coffee. This stuff is really complex--I can instantly differentiate anise, tobacco, and green bell-pepper. Other more subtle flavors slowly reveal themselves. I love coffee!

Then...

Customer: "I'd like a big coffee with caramel syrup and cream."
Me: (Gritting my teeth, I destroy that same Costa Rican, covering all the unique and wonderful flavors with caramel syrup and cream. )
Customer: "Thanks!"

A bit later...

Customer: "Can I have this coffee grinded?" (He says as he hands me a bag of coffee, clearly marked as a light roast.)
Me: "You may have it ground, if you'd like."
C: "Yeah, do that. It's a dark roast, right."
Me: "No, it's very light roasted."
C: "Oh."
Me: "We only dark roast the beans that we really don't like--that way we destroy any unique taste the bean
has."
C: (Nervous little laugh, wide eyes.)
Me: (Condescending glare)
(The customer pays and leaves, a bit hurriedly.)

Somewhere in this conversation, Jake the roaster walks in, and I can tell he's laughing quietly. Not so much at the customer as at my pain. Thanks Jake.

Next customer: "I'm looking for dark roasts."
Jake: (Hides his face and giggles.)
Me: (Resigned silence, pained look on my face.)
Jake: (More giggling.)

No comments: