Wednesday, December 27, 2006

"I am really into coffee. Oh, I am a coffee snob."

I often hear something like this, usually a half a second before I hear something like the following:

"Um, so is your pumpkin syrup really good?"

To which I answer:

"I'm sorry, but we don't carry pumpkin syrup."

I usually recieve quite the eye-roll at this point. Then the customer asks in an exasperated tone:
"Well then, how's your egg-nog latte?"

To which I retort in my most condescending tone:

"I'm sorry, we don't have egg-nog, but I hear Starbucks makes a mean one."

I usually get an even bigger eye-roll on that one.

My point is, most people who come to a coffee shop are not really interested in coffee. They think of a cafe as a grown-up candy store. "It's just like candy, but with caffeine, so it's a big-boy drink!" Judging from my experience, I'd say that 70% of coffee shop customers describe themselves as "into coffee." Of those 70%, only the tiny minority ever drink coffee without doing something to cover-up the taste (latte, cream and sugar, etc...). Again, only the minority know that coffee is an agricultural product. (That's right, it doesn't grow in cans already roasted! Really? Yes it's true.)

I guess that's ok. But, unless you're in the minority, you're not really "into coffee" no matter how loudly and pretentiously you announce that you are to your friends. If you're ok with that, then, God bless you: get your pumpkin latte. Cover up your coffee with whatever you want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it is because they have only had coffee that needs to be covered up because it is not Scottish at all.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it is because they have only had coffee that needs to be covered up because it is not Scottish at all.

layne (herman) said...

The only sweetener my coffee gets is on those rare occassions when my barista accidentially sticks his finger into my cup...

...But then he is so sweet I get scared that his finger might melt.


HAPPY NEW YEAR LARRY (if that is your real name????)