Monday, September 11, 2006

On the freakin' Wine-Os.

OK, so I've bashed a few of the wine folk in the valley for posing as people with sophisticated palates, yet insisting on drinking dark-roasted coffee with cream and sugar in a 20 oz cup.
I take none of it back, but I thought I should balance these thoughts out with some positive stuff. I've been very, very impressed with some of the wine folk of late: drinking the coffee black; making very, very sophisticated and intelligent observations on the coffee.

You've got to hand it to them--they've got some great vocabulary and good imagination when they're tasting. Now, by imagination, I don't mean that they're "imagining" tastes that aren't there, but rather that it takes some creativity to identify the taste of butter-nut squash in a cup of coffee. It might be there, but most people don't put it together because they're not thinking of squash when they're drinking coffee. That's certainly an area where I could improve. I mean, I can single out a particular taste amidst the complexities in the cup, but describing the taste is very difficult.

I'm working on it. Today I recognized the smell of freshly baked pinto beans in the 'nose' of my Kenya. Hmmm, doesn't sound that appetizing, so I might not say that to a customer when I'm describing it, but I'm proud that I was able to recognize the aroma. Usually I'm stuck in the rut of coffee describing words: fruity, chocolatey, berried, lemony, citrusy, balanced, crisp, thick mouth feel, clean-finishing, etc... These aren't bad, but there are a lot more tastes in the coffee besides these. In fact, the coffee tasting wheel has twice as many tastes as the wine tasting wheel, so we coffee people should be able to describe coffee (and wine for that matter) in at least as sophisticated a way as the winey folk. Hats off to you, Wine-Os.

4 comments:

Fr. Matthew said...

I think we could come up with come trailer M-F phrases for you.

Munkee said...

One of the reasons i still go back to Sweet Maria's now that i get my greens through the co-op is to see what interesting coffees Tom has in stock, and more than that, to read his great reviews and critiques of them. His knack for nailing down and identifying things on his pallate is incredible.

Panimatka Philo said...

Yeah, I think that I should devolop my trailer-trash vocab for the coffee as well:

Smells like spam and finishes with Old-E.

Of course, I've never eaten spam or drunk Old-E...

layne (herman) said...

This is exactly how I try to decribe the varied tastes when I drink a bottle of Thunderbird.


"It has a hint of the paper bag aroma, circa Albertsons Supermarket January 'o5, but leaves you with a taste of an awakened surprise, like the type of surprise I get when I receive an uninvited kiss from my dog Ashur when I have fallen asleep on the couch."


Seriously though... it is a wonderful gift that folks have when they are able to find the hidden treasures in their foods and beverages.